Last Updated on August 18, 2021 by Stephen Paul Robertson
Hey there baseball lovers, today I am going to answer your common question, how much does a baseball cap weigh?
Simply In one sentence, a baseball cap weighs approximately 3-4 ounces.
A baseball cap is an essential element of their full uniform. Like you all, I always used to think about how a player can run, slide, jump, or dive wearing a cap. Aren’t they too heavy?
Already got the answer they are light. However, I said the approximate weight. If you can you can get a heavier or lighter hat than the general weight.
In this article, I will break out the topic in detail – how much does a baseball hat weigh?
Types of Baseball Caps
A baseball cap is kind of a soft cap generally made of soft wool or polyester having a rounded crown and in front a stiff bill projection.
Baseball caps are mainly available in 4 major types.
- Snapback hat: These types of caps come with a flat brim and include a snap closure on the rear side. Moreover, they are adjustable and high-profile hats.
- Adjustable hat: Such hats come with a Velcro closure in the back and of a curved brim. But they are low-profile hats.
- Fitted hat: You can get them both in flat or curved brim; they are also high profile hats but not adjustable.
- Flexfit hat: One of the popular hats generally made of elastic materials and comes with both flat and curved brim. On top of that, they are adjustable.
What Makes up the Weight of Baseball Hats?
Did you ever think exactly what are the reasons for the weight? Simply different parts of a hat. They put the weight into the cap. Moreover, whether it’s a lightweight or heavyweight hat that also depends on different parts. In this segment, I am going to discuss different parts of a baseball hat.
- Visor or Brim: You may be well-known with the word bill of the baseball hat. The brim/visor is exactly the part that extends out over the base. The main function of a brim is to protect your face from sunlight. It is one of the heaviest parts of a baseball hat. Mainly the filling between the bottom and the top makes it bulky.
- The Crown: Another major part of a hat is the crown. It consists of 5 or 6 panels depending on the overall structure, style, and size of a hat. Crown contains the team logo, name, and other designs or texts. It also includes a sweatband on the front inside panels. All that put some extra weight on the hat.
- Closure: Closure is another part of a baseball hat that varies from type to type. The fitted hat generally comes with metal around closure. Again, a stretch that is fully enclosed and a snapback hat comes with a velcro or plastic snap shut. Everything I discussed slightly affects the overall weight of a hat.
- Button: At the top of a hat you may notice a button made of metal. All the panels of the crown meet Into the button. It is generally covered with fabric and you will see a button of different sizes in different hats
- Eyelets: Eyelets are made of threading. They ensure proper ventilation and keep your head away from sweating.
- Mesh back: For getting a lightweight hat mesh back is a great feature to look into. In Trucker’s cap, you should notice this feature. In the mesh back caps, the back panel is crafted with lightweight plastic meshing which lowers the weight of the baseball cap.
Learn More: Full Brim VS Cap Hard Hat
How Much a Trucker Hat Weighs?
At the last point, I have explained about the Trucker’s hat. Gladly informing you that a Trucker’s hat is lighter than the regular baseball hats. They weigh only 2-3 ounces.
Trucker’s hats are also known as summer hats because they are perfect for use in the summer weather. The backside of the hat is open and fully ventilated. The front side is made of lightweight and breathable material.
So, considering everything, a Trucker’s hat is way much more comfortable, especially playing on a sunny day.
For getting a high-quality Trucker’s hat you can go to Amazon. Just click the link and surely you will find almost hundreds of products.
Where Can I find a Lightweight Baseball Hat?
Lightweight hats are more popular and people are widely searching for the best lightweight hats. If you are facing problems while finding a good hat then this section is perfect for you. Here I am going to recommend some ways and platforms to get the best lightweight baseball hats.
- Amazon: I have already mentioned Amazon would be the best and easiest way to choose a lightweight baseball hat. Go to Amazon and search for “Trucker’s baseball hat/lightweight baseball hats.” Surely you will see 100+ products are appearing on the screen.
- Walmart: If you are not fond of Amazon then another option for you is Walmart. Just like the previous process, search the same on Walmart and you’ll find lots of products. However, the collection of Amazon is wider than Walmart.
- Sports shop: If there is any sport’s shop near your house then it will be easier for you. Just visit the shop and ask them for a lightweight cap. You can wear them and understand which one is lighter and fits well on your head. However, you can also check for their official website or social sites. Maybe you can get products on their page and get home delivery.
How much is a Hard hat?
Our curious mind always wants to learn more. Hard hats are anyhow related to baseball hats though they are completely opposite in weight. A quality hard hard costs between $15-60.
If you just want one for temporary use such as visiting any construction place then a cheap hat is perfect for you. But if you are a construction worker and pass half of a day in a construction place then I would like to suggest you choose a quality hard hat.
We have an article on best construction worker hard hats. Just visit the link to learn more about them and get the best hard hat in the market.
How much Does a Beanie Weigh?
Answering one of the most asked questions how heavy a beanie is? Well, it’s only 1-2 Oz in weight. Carrying them is also very easy. You can fold and put them inside your pocket as well.
It was a very simple question but then I took a bit longer to completely explain every fact related to “How much does a baseball cap weigh?”
Now you know the answer. You can get a baseball cap in different weights. The lightest one comes from 2 ounces or even less. But the heavy baseball caps weigh 5/5+ ounces.
However, it’s always wise to get a lightweight baseball cap for better performance. It won’t make you feel like a burden on the head and let you move faster. Plus, they generally come with more ventilation systems and are perfect for use in the summer.
I hope you will have no more queries on the topic of how much does a hat weigh. Before saying goodbye I would like to suggest you another article – Helmet for scooter riding.
Paul, a graduate from the University of California, has been a Safety Advisor for over 5 years in USA. Along with his other 2 partners, who are professional bikers, he has been the chief of the headsafetyguard.com to create mass awareness on an often neglected issue: HEAD SAFETY